First Time VA Applicant | GCTC

First Time VA Applicant

How to Apply?

  • Through the Office of Veterans Affairs any eligible student can make an application for VA Educational benefits.
  • We provide assistance if you are making your initial claim or if you've used the GI Bill® previously.

When Do I apply?

  • The Office of Veterans Affairs recommends that you apply for benefits 60 to 90 days prior to a semester starting; this gives the Department of Veterans Affairs plenty of time to process your claim in a timely manner.
  • The VA Regional office that processes for the State of Kentucky processes for a total of 16 states and at times the volume can be tremendous.
  • If you are relying on the Department of Veterans Affairs to assist you with tuition and fees the latest you should apply is 60 days prior to the semester starting.

What Happens After I Apply?

  • Once you apply with Gateway, your admission process is complete and you are enrolled, contact the Office of Veterans Affairs.
  • Submit your initial VA claims are submitted to the Department of Veterans Affairs by mail or electronically. The approximate processing time is about 4 to 6 weeks.
  • Once VA processes your claim they will provide you with an Award letter outlining your monthly allowance and various policies and procedures you need to comply with to receive VA Educational benefits.
  • If you've previously used your VA benefits claim, this claim will be processed electronically and the approximate processing time with VA is about 15 to 20 working days.
  • Once your VA Certification is submitted to the Department of Veterans Affairs (DVA) the DVA will generate to the student an email acknowledging enrollment to the email address you submitted to the campus VA Office. 

Can I get a VA Pamphlet for my particular GI Bill®?

  • Yes, contact the Office of Veterans Affairs on campus or call the Department of Veterans Affairs at: 1-888-442-4551 or 1-800-827-1000
  • Find VA handouts and pamphlets.

Fill out the VONAPP online application for all VA Education Benefit Chapters (New/Transferring).

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website.