First Time Freshman
LET’S GET THIS JOURNEY STARTED
New to college? Here’s how to apply to Gateway and start building a better tomorrow—right here in your own backyard.
Apply as a freshman if you’ve never taken a college class or if you took dual-credit, SEEK, or dual-enrolled classes in high school. If you’ve taken college classes, apply as a transfer student.
How to Apply
Applying to Gateway is easy, and we’ll be with you at every step of the way. Just follow these four steps:
- Submit the Application for Admission. It’s free, and it only takes about 15 minutes to complete.
- Send us your final high school or GED transcript.
- Submit required test scores to the Admission Office located at the Edgewood Campus:
- ACT, Accuplacer, EdReady Diagnostic and EdReady Study Path, High School GPA, GED College Readiness, SAT, KYOTE, TABE 9/10-A and Wonderlic are accepted for admission
- If you do not have a high school GPA or test scores to submit from the above list, please schedule an EdReady test with Gateway here.
- Students with transferable credits may be exempt based upon transcript evaluation
- Explore financial aid. Our generous scholarships, grants and loans make a great education even more affordable. Here’s how.
And that’s it! You’re on your way to the future of your dreams.
If you have questions along the way, give us a call or send us an email. We look forward to helping you reach your goals!
Technology for your classes
All in-person and online courses at Gateway use Blackboard which is a learning management system. Therefore, it is strongly recommended that all Gateway students have a computer with reliable Internet access. Smart phones, tablets and/or Chromebooks may not provide reliable access.
A computer with the following specs should be sufficient for online learning:
- Macintosh OS X (10.12 or higher) or Windows PC (8 or higher)
- 4 GB RAM (8 GM RAM or more is highly recommended)
- 20 GB of available hard-drive space
- Screen resolution set to 1280 X 1024
- Broadband/high-speed uninterrupted Internet access; minimum speed of 1.5 Mbps download, 750 Kbps upload
- Webcam, microphone, and speakers
The Help Desk is available to answer your questions about Blackboard. Contact the KCTCS Online Technical Help Desk at any time 24/7.