Steps to Receiving a Student Loan
To be eligible:
File your FAFSA, and complete your financial aid file at Gateway.
- Meet all Gateway Admissions requirements.
- Returning students, those transferring to Gateway from another college, or re-entering students must maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress.
- Enroll (and remain enrolled) for at least 6 semester hours in the term for which you are borrowing the student loan.
Steps to Receiving a Student Loan:
First, log into your Student Self-Service account using your student email name and password.
Second, select the tile for Financial Aid then click on FA Loan Request (See Below). From here, you will read through the material and follow the prompts to request a loan. You will choose the amount you wish to borrow. It can take up to 10 business days for the awards to show on your self-service account.
After requesting your student loans on Student Self-Service, you will need to complete Entrance Counseling and a Master Promissory Note. Instructions are as follows:
Go to www.studentaid.gov -- Be sure to have your US Department of Education FSA ID number available. You may obtain your FSA ID here.
- Complete your Entrance Counseling
To complete your Master Promissory Note. Go to www.studentaid.gov -- Be sure to have your US Department of Education FSA ID number available. You may obtain your FSA ID here.
- Click the link on the left of the screen which reads Sign In under Manage My Direct Loan
- Enter your identifying information.
- Click the link to the right of the screen which reads Complete Master Promissory Note
- Select Subsidized/Unsubsidized Loan.
- Follow the directions given on the screen to successfully complete the eSign process.
- Print and retain a copy of your MPN for your records.