Questions about financial aid? We've got answers!
You may see under TASKS on your student homepage that you need to submit some document(s) so your financial aid can be processed. There are several ways you can get those documents to us without having to leave the safety of your home. They include the following:
- You can submit them by uploading through the task on your student self-service. Scan the document or upload a picture of it. As long as it is complete and clear, we can accept either.
- You can also email them to Kelly Perry at email@example.com.
- You can mail them to us:
Office of Financial Aid
790 Thomas More Parkway
Edgewood KY 41017
- You can fax them to us at (859)442-1107.
In general, you're eligible as long as you:
- are a U.S. citizen or eligible noncitizen
- are registered with the Selective Service, if required by law
- are working toward a degree, diploma, or certificate
- are making satisfactory academic progress (SAP)
- do not owe a refund on a federal grant
- are not in default on a federal educational loan
- demonstrate financial need, if required
- have not been convicted of drug distribution or possession while receiving federal student aid.
If you answer no to all of the questions below, you are considered dependent. If you answer yes to any of these questions, you are considered independent:
- Were you born before Jan. 1, 1997 for 20/21 academic year or January 1, 1998 for 21/22 academic year?
- Do you have a bachelor's degree?
- Are you married? (Answer yes if you are separated, but not divorced.)
- Are you an orphan or ward of the court or were you a ward of the court until age 18?
- Are you a veteran of the U.S. armed forces?
- Do you have dependents other than a spouse who receive more than half of their support from you and will continue to do so through June 30, 2022?
They each provide electronic forms that estimate how much you might receive. No amount is certain until you apply, but these forms will give you a good, general idea.
Once your FAFSA is processed and your To Do List completed, you will be awarded by Gateway. Visit the Student Self-Service online system to view and accept or decline your awards. Once completed, your financial aid award will be automatically updated.
- Log in to Student Self Service. This is a secure site.
- Select Login Here (under the KCTCS logo in the upper left corner)
- Enter your User ID and Password. Your User ID is the same as your KCTCS email username
(example: jsmith0004) and your KCTCS email password
Select Self Service, Student Center, Finances, then Accept/Decline Financial Aid
Read the Aid Year Description and then select an Aid Year.
2021 for Fall 2020, Spring 2021, Summer 2021
2022 for Fall 2021, Spring 2022, Summer 2022
- Grant and Scholarship Awards are automatically accepted for you. If you wish to receive a student loan, you must complete the Loan Request in your Student Self Service.
Refunds occur when there is a credit balance that exists after tuition, fees and any bookstore charges have been paid to your PeopleSoft account. Refunds are credited to your account using the method you selected when you activated your Bank Mobile Card. Refunds only occur on Wednesday nights. If you have questions about your Bank Mobile Card or your refund, you should contact the Business Office at 1-855-3GO-GCTC (1-855-346-4282).
If you declare yourself independent, you'll need to gather the information below for you. If you're married, you'll need to gather this information for both you and your spouse. If you declare yourself a dependent student, you'll need the following for you and your parents:
- Drivers license(students only) and Social Security number
- W-2 Forms and other records on money earned in the prior tax year, 2018 for the 2020-21 academic year, 2019 for the 2021-22 academic year.
- U.S. income tax return (IRS Form 1040, 1040A, or 1040EZ). 2018 for the 2020-21 academic year, 2019 for the 2021-22 academic year. Records of untaxed income, such as welfare, Social Security, TANF or ADC, or veterans benefits
- Current bank statement
- Current mortgage information
- Business and farm records
- Records of stocks, bonds, and other investments
- Copies of records showing child support received or paid during the prior tax year
- Copies of records showing any income or benefits not mentioned above or reflected in income taxes for the prior tax year
- A copy of your high school transcript or GED (or statement of proof) may be required by the admissions or financial aid office before financial aid is awarded
The FAR service indicator tracks students who wish to be able to charge their books through the campus Barnes & Noble bookstore. This does not keep you from enrolling.