Financial Aid FAQ | GCTC

Questions about financial aid? We've got answers!


You may see under TASKS on your student homepage that you need to submit some document(s) so your financial aid can be processed.  There are several ways you can get those documents  to us without having to leave the safety of your home.  They include the following:


  1. You can submit them by uploading through the task on your student self-service. Scan the document or upload a picture of it. As long as it is complete and clear, we can accept either. 
  2. You can also email them to Karen Rodehaver at
  3. You can mail them to us:
    Office of Financial Aid
    790 Thomas More Parkway
    Edgewood KY 41017
  4. You can fax them to us at (859)442-1107.

In general, you're eligible as long as you:

  • are a U.S. citizen or eligible noncitizen
  • are registered with the Selective Service, if required by law
  • are working toward a degree, diploma, or certificate
  • are making satisfactory academic progress (SAP)
  • do not owe a refund on a federal grant
  • are not in default on a federal educational loan
  • demonstrate financial need, if required
  • have not been convicted of drug distribution or possession while receiving federal student aid.
If you paid for your tuition yourself, there will be a link on for you to download your 1098-T. Please keep in mind, if grant and/or scholarship money paid your tuition, then you are not eligible for a 1098-T. 
The Gateway Registrars Office automatically sends enrollment information each semester. However if you are needing the form filled out immediately, you should take it to the Gateway Registrars Office. That office is located in the Student Service Center at our Edgewood Campus.

If you answer no to all of the questions below, you are considered dependent. If you answer yes to any of these questions, you are considered independent:

  • Were you born before Jan. 1, 1995 for 18-19 academic year or January 1, 1996 for 19-20 academic year?
  • Do you have a bachelor's degree?
  • Are you married? (Answer yes if you are separated, but not divorced.)
  • Are you an orphan or ward of the court or were you a ward of the court until age 18?
  • Are you a veteran of the U.S. armed forces?
  • Do you have dependents other than a spouse who receive more than half of their support from you and will continue to do so through June 30, 2018?

The FAFSA and ACT each provide electronic forms that estimate how much you might receive. No amount is certain until you apply, but these forms will give you a good, general idea.

They each provide electronic forms that estimate how much you might receive. No amount is certain until you apply, but these forms will give you a good, general idea.

Once your FAFSA is processed and your To Do List completed, you will be awarded by Gateway. Visit the Student Self-Service online system to view and accept or decline your awards. Once completed, your financial aid award will be automatically updated.

  • Log in to Student Self Service. This is a secure site.
  • Select Login Here (under the KCTCS logo in the upper left corner)
  • Enter your User ID and PasswordYour User ID is the same as your KCTCS email username (example: jsmith0004) and your KCTCS email password 
    Select Self Service, Student Center, Finances, then Accept/Decline Financial Aid 
    Read the Aid Year Description and then select an Aid Year. 
    2017 for Fall 2016, Spring 2017, Summer 2017
    2018for Fall 2017, Spring 2018, Summer 2018
  • Grant and Scholarship Awards are automatically accepted for you. If you wish to receive a student loan, you must complete the Loan Request in your Student Self Service.
Disbursement is when your financial aid payments are credited to your PeopleSoft account. This happens approximately 5 to 6 weeks from the start of your first class. The disbursement date represents the earliest date funds can be applied to your account in Student Billing. The Financial Aid Office cannot guarantee the arrival date or disbursement date of funds. 

Refunds occur when there is a credit balance that exists after tuition, fees and any bookstore charges have been paid to your PeopleSoft account. Refunds are credited to your account using the method you selected when you activated your Higher One Card. Refunds only occur on Wednesday nights. If you have questions about your Higher One Card or your refund, you should contact the Business Office at 1-855-3GO-GCTC (1-855-346-4282).

1. To complete verification, you need to download your verification worksheet(s) you must: 
Log into your Student Self-Service.

2. Find your "To Do List" (located on the right side of the webpage) and click "details" (located at the bottom of the box.) (Note: example may vary from student to student)

3. Select the "Financial Aid Issues" link (under the To Do Items column on the Item List.)

financial aid

4. Click the KCTCS web address found in the Description box.

5. You should download all forms by clicking the links on the Verification Worksheet webpage.

6. Fill these out completely and turn them into the Financial Aid Office as soon as possible. Failure to return the documents promptly may cause significant delays to your aid.To obtain your tax transcript: 

Instructions for ISIR Data Retrieval Tool 
The best way to verify income is by using the IRS Data Retrieval Tool that is part of the online FAFSA.
If you have not already used the tool, go to, and log in to your FAFSA record. Select Make FAFSA Corrections, and navigate to the Financial Information section of the form. From there, follow the instructions to determine if you are eligible to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool to transfer IRS income tax information into your FAFSA. Make sure to submit your changes. 

Print or order a transcript 
To obtain an IRS tax return transcript go to and click on the Get Transcript of Your Tax Records link or call 1-800-908-9946.

To print your own copy, choose Get Transcript Online." Make sure to print or request the IRS tax RETURN transcript and not the IRS tax account transcript unless specifically requested by the Financial Aid Office. You will need your Social Security Number, date of birth, and the address on file with the IRS (normally this will be the address used when your IRS tax return was filed.)

financial aid

If you apply online, your application will be processed in approximately one week. At that time, should check your Student Self-Service to see if there are any items on your To Do List.

If you declare yourself independent, you'll need to gather the information below for you. If you're married, you'll need to gather this information for both you and your spouse. If you declare yourself a dependent student, you'll need the following for you and your parents:

  • Drivers license(students only) and Social Security number
  • W-2 Forms and other records on money earned in the prior tax year, 2016 for the 2018-19 academic year, 2017 for the 2019-20 academic year.
  • U.S. income tax return (IRS Form 1040, 1040A, or 1040EZ). 2016 for the 2018-19 academic year, 2017 for the 2019-20 academic year. Records of untaxed income, such as welfare, Social Security,TANF or ADC, or veterans benefits
  • Current bank statement
  • Current mortgage information
  • Business and farm records
  • Records of stocks, bonds, and other investments
  • Copies of records showing child support received or paid during the prior tax year
  • Copies of records showing any income or benefits not mentioned above or reflected in income taxes for the prior tax year
  • A copy of your high school transcript or GED (or statement of proof) may be required by the admissions or financial aid office before financial aid is awarded
The FHD service indicator tracks students who are enrolled in classes that begin after the traditional 15-week semester. In rare instances, it is used for other purposes. If you began classes at the beginning of the 15-week semester (January, May or August) and find this indicator on your account, please contact financial aid for further information. This does not keep you from enrolling. 

The FAR service indicator tracks students who wish to be able to charge their books through the campus Barnes & Noble bookstore. This does not keep you from enrolling.