The next steps in your higher education begin here at Gateway! Whether you are transferring to Gateway, or want to build on the education you've received from Gateway, we are committed to helping you make a smooth and successful transition. Thousands of students have taken this next step in their academic or career path, and you can too!
When the time comes for you to transfer from Gateway, there are a few steps that need to be completed. Please use this checklist to ensure all steps are completed in order to facilitate a smooth transfer.
- Contact your next institution’s Admission Office and ask them the steps for application. Ask them about any Transfer Orientations you need to complete. Ask them about up front fees.
- Have an official transcript sent to your next institution from Gateway and any other institutions you have previously attended (do not worry if you have work in progress, we can get an update later). Use this link for more information.
- Have any placement test scores sent to the next institution, if needed.
- If you are using financial aid, then make sure your FAFSA has the school code of your next institution.
Once admitted, the following items should be taken care of if applicable:
- Apply for all scholarships for transfer students at your next institution.
- If you are currently in TRIO-Student Support Services at Gateway, look to see if your next institution has TRIO services and apply.
- Sign up and pay for student orientation, if required.
- Meet with your academic advisor to schedule your classes
Yes! Your Credits Transfer!
Thanks to House Bill 160, a law passed in 2010 by the Kentucky State Legislature, all general education courses at Gateway will transfer to any public four-year university in Kentucky. Earn your associate of arts or Associate in Science degree at Gateway and you'll be "General Education Certified"-- which means you don't have to take more general education courses after you transfer. You can read all about the Kentucky General Education Transfer Agreement online.
KnowHow2Transfer is a great resource where you can compare Kentucky colleges based on criteria most important to you. With a little effort, you will easily find one that fits your academic interests and personal needs.
You can also make an appointment with Transfer Services and we'll walk you through it.
Gateway is fully accredited through the Southern Association of Colleges & Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC). Gateway's credits are accepted by any accredited institution in North America. Start Here, Go Anywhere!
You can see how your credits transfer to various schools around the country by visiting TES, the Transfer Evaluation System from CollegeSource.