At the end of each semester, the Kentucky Community and Technical College System runs end-of-term processing. This updates GPAs and automatically puts students on probation or suspension. Gateway's Success Coaching Team sends an email to students that are placed on academic probation or continued probation and a letter to students that are suspended at the end of each semester.
- Students are placed on Academic Probation (Probation 1) if they earned below a 2.0 GPA at the end of the semester.
- Students are placed on continued Academic Probation (or Probation 2) if they haven't brought their cumulative GPA up after being placed on Probation 1.
- Students are placed on Academic Suspension if they have received below a 2.0 GPA for three consecutive terms.
- Students who have been academically suspended from another college the semester/quarter before they apply to Gateway are put on academic suspension.
- All academically suspended students are required to sit out one 15-week semester and follow the Academic Reinstatement Process outlined below for re-admissions to the college.
If you have satisfied your suspension absence from the college, you may request reinstatement by following these steps:
- Submit your Request for Reinstatement. If reinstatement to the college is approved, then you must complete the following additional steps.
- Work with a success coach to create a success plan, develop study skills, and establish a consistent meeting schedule. You will be connected to your coach upon approval of your reinstatement.
- Contact the Financial Aid Office about your eligibility for federal financial aid. Students may need to submit a satisfactory academic progress appeal and documentation to the Office of Financial Aid to fund their tuition payment,
- Contact the Business Office to be sure your student account is in good standing, clear of any business holds preventing you from course registration.
- Make an appointment with your assigned academic advisor to get enrolled into courses.
The Dean's List recognizes the academic excellence of students according to the KCTCS Rules of Senate for the fall semester, spring semester and summer term.
For the Fall and Spring semesters, a Gateway full-time student must earn at least a 3.5 grade point average (GPA) and successfully complete 12 hours or more of course work numbered 100 or above for the academic term being recognized.
A Gateway part-time student must complete 3 to 11 credits of course work numbered 100 and above for the academic term being recognized and earn a cumulative 3.5 GPA after successfully completing a cumulative total of at least 15 KCTCS semester credits of course work numbered 100 and above.
For the summer semester, a Gateway student must earn at least a 3.5 GPA after successfully completing 6 hours or more of course work numbered 100 or above for the academic term being recognized.
Please note that the above KCTCS Senate Rules criteria replaces the misprint in the student catalog.
A congratulatory letter will be sent by mid-term of the subsequent semester, in the form of an email, from the President of the college regarding the achievement of making the Dean's List. As a memento of the celebration, certificates will only be given to students who attend the Dean's List Celebration.