Dual Credit Quick Guide | GCTC

Dual Credit Quick Guide

One of the first things you should do after being accepted into a dual credit course is to set up your student account. Your account will give you access to:

  • Your college email
  • Blackboard, an online tool that you’ll use in most of your college courses
  • The Student Self-Service Center, your one-stop shop for school records and information
  • Campus computers

How to set up your account

Setting up your account is easy. Here’s what you’ll need:

  • Your birth month and day
  • Your KCTCS Student ID (it’s the nine-digit code at the top left corner of your schedule)
  • Your personal email address (if you provided one when enrolling)

 Next, follow these steps:

  1. Choose Current Students from the menu at the top of the page.
  2. Scroll down and click on User Account Center.
  3. Choose Setup your User Profile.
  4. Enter your birth month and day.
  5. Enter your KCTCS Student ID, then click Next.
  6. Verify your identity by having a code sent to your personal email or cell phone. (Don’t have an email or phone number listed with us? Contact the Help Desk or see the Information Commons.)
  7. Once you’ve verified your identity, choose and answer three security questions.
  8. Finally, you’ll receive your user name and create your password!
    Note: Your user name will be the first letter of your first name, your last name and a series of four numbers. For example: bsmith0012.

How to log into your account

Now that your account is set up, you’re ready to log in! Here’s how.

  1. Click on Current Students from the menu at the top of the page.
  2. Scroll down and choose My Path.

How to reset your password

Did you forget your password, or are you a returning student? Here’s how to reset your access.

  1. Click on Current Students from the menu at the top of the page.
  2. Scroll down and choose User Account Center.
  3. Click on Reset Password.


Check your KCTCS email account on a regular basis! That’s how we’ll communicate with you, so you’ll want to check it often to make sure you don’t miss anything important.

Being a college student is different than what you are used to as a high school student. We want to make sure you are prepared and ask that you review the content on the following web pages so you have a better understanding of dual credit requirements, what it means to be enrolled in college and the resources available to you. At the bottom of this page is a check list for you to fill out and submit as proof of you having read the material.

General Information

Student Resources

Orientation Form

By completing the Orientation Form, you are verifying that you have read and understand all of the above materials. Please contact your Dual Credit college contact with any questions.

Complete the Orientation Form

Each college has the ability to decide which courses are offered as dual credit per SACSCOC. Courses that qualify are included in the dual credit course list, which is referenced in the MOA. Students only receive dual credit for courses on the list.

The college submits its dual credit course list to the KCTCS System Office by the priority registration deadline for the approaching semester so the courses can be programmed into PeopleSoft. Students can’t enroll in a course for dual credit until the school district has signed the Dual Credit MOA and the MOA has been submitted to the KCTCS System Office along with the course list. 

Additional courses can be submitted to the system office on a monthly basis until the Council on Postsecondary Education (CPE) Snapshot deadline for capturing the college’s official data. KCTCS will not accept any additions after the CPE Snapshot.  

Deadline Fall Semester Spring Semester
Priority Registration Deadline March 1 October 1
CPE Snapshot Deadline October 31 March 29


Adult Content

General education courses may have course content that is adult in nature. Course content can’t be modified in response to requests, but students and their parents or guardians are welcome to preview textbooks and course syllabi before the semester begins to see whether the class is appropriate for them.

Master Dual Credit Calendar 2020-2021

Item Fall Spring Summer **
Signed MOA for 20-21 school year due March 1 N/A N/A
KCTCS priority registration opens* March 1 October 1 March 1
KCTCS application/enrollment deadline Varies by college Varies by college Varies by college
Start of high school semester August (varies) January (varies)  
Start of KCTCS semester* August 17 January 11 May 17
Last day for KCTCS students to add/drop a course 4 days after first day 4 days after first day 4 days after first day
ACT/CTE student registration for technical courses September (varies) January & February  Not offered at most colleges
KHEAA high school submission deadline for scholarship eligibility September 15  February 1  N/A
Last day for KCTCS students to withdraw from class and receive a W* Varies by college Varies by college Varies by college
Student KHEAA preference deadline October 1 March 1 N/A
KCTCS submits first enrollment file to KHEAA (please report changes prior) October 15 March 15 N/A
Pre-orientation for eligible HS students with dual credit faculty October 15 March 15 N/A
KCTCS sends first e-bill to dual credit students for the current semester (if no scholarship information is on record) October 23 March 19 April 30 (no scholarships available)
Last day to add dual credit course for the semester October 30 March 28 August 13
Dual credit enrollment at high schools for the following semester October-November (varies) April -
Dual credit data due for KCTCS Official Snapshot to CPE November 1 March 30 August 15
Last day fo KCTCS semester December 18 May 14 August 6
Grades due to KCTCS December 16 May 12 August 13
Grades due to KHEAA for Dual Credit Scholarship January 30 June 15 N/A
KCTCS returns 50% of funds to KHEAA for scholarship students who did not successfully complete their course  March 1 June 30 N/A

*Students enrolled in courses delivered at the college or online must follow KCTCS deadlines. Deadlines for courses taken at the high school may vary. 

**Dual credit is not available at all colleges for the summer term.

  • Students receive letter grades for college courses (A, B, C, D, E, W, F). No numeric grade data will be submitted.
  • Dual credit grades are applied to the student’s college and high school transcripts and are a permanent part of a student’s academic record.
  • Per state policy, dual credit courses are governed by the college’s grading policy. Secondary schools awarding credit will use the college’s policy.
  • Per KAR regulation 15:090: the course grade assigned by the college shall be used by the high school in calculating the KEES grade point average, and shall be included in the KEES calculation using a 5.0 point scale where 5.0 is an "A", 4.0 is a "B", 3.0 is a "C", 2.0 is a "D", and 1.0 is an "F".
  • Colleges can’t change the deadlines for submitting and reporting grades. They also can’t accommodate requests for early grade submission to a high school. 

Think you can’t afford to take a college class? Think again. Get college credit through reduced tuition or a scholarship now so you can get out of college and into the workforce faster.


The tuition rate for dual credit courses is established through the Kentucky legislature. It is currently set at 2/5 (40%) of the KCTCS in-state tuition cost. For details, see Tuition & Costs.

The discounted tuition rate only applies to dual credit courses offered by the college. If you want to take a course that is not part of the dual credit program, you may enroll as a dually enrolled student if you meet the admission requirements for non-degree/non-credential students. You will be charged the standard KCTCS tuition rate for dual enrollment courses. 

You will receive a bill for the dual credit courses you take that are not covered by a scholarship.

In an effort to make sure that your bill accounts for scholarship funding, we wait to send dual credit bills until mid-October (for the fall semester) and mid-March (for the spring semester). However, if we have not received information about your scholarship by the established deadlines, a bill will be generated.

You are responsible for classroom costs that are not covered by tuition or by your high school or school district, such as textbooks and online material.

Textbooks and Course Material

Some high schools provide students with books and materials for dual credit courses, while others don’t. Ultimately, you are responsible for getting access to all the textbooks and other materials you need for your courses. Some material may be available electronically as digital content. Digital content charges are separate from tuition, and you are responsible for these charges unless your high school or school district pays for them.


Student Holds!

A hold is placed on your academic record when you have an outstanding obligation such as an unpaid bill or inaccurate information on your account. The hold is released when you have met the obligation. If you have a hold on your record, you will not be allowed to register for classes, order transcripts or receive any other services from the college until the hold is released.

If you have a hold on your account, contact your counselor/advisor as soon as possible—they’re here to help.


Two state scholarships are available to help pay your tuition for eligible dual credit courses:

  1. Work Ready Dual Credit Kentucky Scholarship
    • Pays for two technical education classes a year, for a total of eight classes
    • Available to Kentucky residents attending Kentucky public high schools and some private high schools

  2. Dual Credit Scholarship
    • Pays for a total of two successfully completed dual credit classes in any area of study
    • Available to Juniors and Seniors at Kentucky public or private high schools or home schools

These scholarships are administered by the Kentucky Higher Education Assistance Authority (KHEAA). The application is not available until your high school has submitted your information to KHEAA. The deadlines are:

                                           High School                 Student 

Fall                                      September 15              October 1

Spring                                  February 1                   March 1


Your high school will notify KHEAA if you are eligible for either scholarship according to the deadlines listed above. Once your school has submitted the information to KHEAA, you’ll be able to access your KHEAA account to indicate when and where you want to use your scholarship. You must set your preference in order for your college to receive the scholarship award.  Otherwise, the college will not be able to apply the scholarship to your account and you will be responsible for the balance.

Questions about the scholarship? Please call KHEAA at (800) 928-8926


Admission requirements

Students have to meet a few requirements to enroll in dual credit at KCTCS. Some of the requirements are set by the state, while others fall under KCTCS policies.

State Requirements

Kentucky’s dual credit policy requires dual credit students to:

  • Be enrolled in a participating secondary school. Exceptions may be considered if you are recommended by the school faculty and approved by the college’s chief academic officer. Colleges may also provide dual credit to eligible students in private secondary schools and home school settings.
  • Meet the college’s dual credit requirements for admission.
  • Be admitted to the participating college as a dual credit student.
  • Meet the requirements for placement into college credit-bearing courses or courses in programs of study that align to a career pathway.
  • Complete the college’s application for admission and a dual credit form.

KCTCS Requirements

To participate in dual credit courses at KCTCS, you will need to:

  • Complete the application for admission.
  • Meet KCTCS Assessment & Placement requirements for dual credit high school students (see below for more information).
  • Fulfill the prerequisites for your courses.
  • Be admitted to the college.
  • Enroll in one or more eligible dual credit courses.


Homeschooled Students

If you are a Kentucky homeschooled high school student, you can enroll in dual credit courses if you meet the Dual Credit Assessment & Placement requirements and submit a transcript showing your current grade level. Once you’ve completed your senior year of high school, you are no longer eligible to enroll as a dual credit student.


Assessment & Placement

Students must meet KCTCS Dual Credit Assessment & Placement requirements before you can enroll in one or more dual credit courses. The requirements vary depending on whether you’re taking general education or technical classes. 

2021-2022 Waiver 

KCTCS will continue to admit and place students into general education courses with a high school GPA per the table below. Course prerequisites listed in the KCTCS catalog remain in place and can also be met using the GPA indicators.  If a student has both recognized test scores and a GPA, they may be placed at the highest level demonstrated by either scores or GPA. High school freshman without a GPA may be admitted to one dual credit course with a high school guidance counselor’s recommendation in their first term of dual credit until they earn a GPA.

Course/s:                                                           GPA:        ACT:
Technical Courses                                                2.0         16
General Education Courses with no placement       2.5        N/A
College Ready in Reading                                      2.6         20
College Ready in English                                       2.8         18
College Ready for most Math*                               2.8         19
College Ready for College Algebra (MAT 150)           3.0         22

*MAT 105, 116, 126, 141, 146, 151 and 150/100 corequisite 


Dual Credit Assessment & Placement Policy

To help maximize high school student success in dual credit courses and subsequent college/university coursework upon high school graduation, and to maintain the integrity of college-level coursework, this policy has been developed to assess and place 9th through 12th grade high school students in dual credit classes. All KCTCS Colleges will follow these guidelines as written, which align closely with the CPE Admissions and Placement Regulation and align with but do not completely match the general provisions of the KCTCS Assessment and Placement Policy. Limited admissions programs such as Early or Middle College programs will follow those program admission requirements.

As per KHEAA policy, the Dual Credit and Work Ready Kentucky Scholarships may not be used for a course which previously received a scholarship. So, if a student earned an E, F, I or W, they may not use either scholarship to repeat the course. Note that KHEAA success policy is different from KCTCS dual credit course success practices as shown below.

Requirements for enrollment into General Education Dual Credit Courses

  • Students must meet:
    • KCTCS’s college readiness benchmarks for English AND Reading for enrollment into all non-QR/Math courses;
    • OR Mathematics (at least Meta-Major Pathway benchmarks) for enrollment into all QR/Math courses;
    • AND any course-specific requirements noted in the KCTCS course catalog as appropriate to the desired coursework.
    • Exception: Dual credit students in the 12th grade who assess/place into an English, Math or Reading course with a supplemental course may enroll in that option if offered by their KCTCS College. The supplemental course would be paid at full tuition cost by the student (pending notification by CPE of any changes).

  • Students must have a high school grade point average (GPA) of at least 2.5 on a 4.0 unweighted scale.
    • Exception: First semester 9th grade students who do not have a high school GPA may enroll in one general education course if they meet KCTCS college readiness benchmarks as appropriate for their coursework. This requires benchmarks:
      • In English AND Reading for enrollment into all non-QR/Math courses;
      • OR the appropriate Mathematics benchmark for enrollment into all QR/Math courses based on the course admission requested;
        AND any course-specific requirements noted in the KCTCS course catalog as appropriate to the desired coursework.

  • Any dual credit student withdrawing from two or more courses in a session or semester must meet with the College Chief Academic Officer or designee before enrolling for any subsequent session or semester.

Technical Education Course Requirements

  • Students must meet:
    • An ACT Composite Score of 16;
    • OR ACT Mathematics 16 AND ACT Reading 16;
    • OR any accepted equivalent from the KCTCS Assessment and Placement Policy;
    • OR a high school grade point average (GPA) of 2.5;
    • AND any course-specific requirements noted in the KCTCS course catalog.

  • Dual credit students (not including Early or Middle College students) who do not successfully complete a dual credit course with a C or higher[1]:
    • If enrolled in 9th or 10th grade, the student may repeat that course or take another dual credit course. The student may only register for one dual credit class the returning semester, and, if applicable, the accompanying corequisite lab. Please note a KHEAA scholarship may not be used to retake a course for which a scholarship has already been utilized.
    • If enrolled in 11th or 12th grade, the student may repeat that course, and, if applicable, the accompanying lab AND/OR take other dual credit courses. Please note a KHEAA scholarship may not be used to retake a course for which a scholarship has already been utilized.

[1] Students with a D, E, F, or I are considered unsuccessful completers for KCTCS dual credit coursework. Most courses will not transfer or count as a course pre-requisite unless the grade earned is a C or higher.

Approved Placement Tests:

  • ACT
  • Accuplacer
  • EdReady
  • SAT
  • Wonderlic

Visit the full KCTCS Assessment & Placement Policy to view placement levels in Section 3.3 for common assessments. Note: individual colleges may accept additional assessments for placement.