If you believe you can demonstrate mastery of course content, you may request credit for most technical college courses through the Special Technical Education Proficiency process. Heres how the process works:
- On receipt of a request, you will have the opportunity to take a STEP test that covers course content.
- If you successfully demonstrate competence by scoring at least 70 percent on the STEP exam, you will receive a P for passing.
- The credit will not affect your grade point average but will count toward program completion.
- You may take a STEP exam only once for a particular course before enrolling in that course.
- You may STEP-test out of a total of nine semester hours.
- Students must request and take the STEP exam on published dates.
STEP exams must be taken prior to the end of the drop/add period of each semester. If a student enrolls in a course before taking the STEP exam in that particular course and then drops the course when a successful STEP exam score is achieved, no tuition refunds will be issued.
STEP exam request forms are located online. Please keep in mind not all courses offer STEP exams. Students and advisors may contact the testing center for available tests. To take the STEP exam, the student must complete an official form with his/her advisor and pay a non-refundable fee for each STEP exam. Please submit the forms and payment to the testing center. All tests are administered in the Testing Center at the Boone Campus. Please call (859) 442-1161 for more information regarding STEP testing.