What is Commercial Driver's License Training?
Complete vehicle training will prepare you for an entry-level position in the trucking industry. Once you complete the course, you will be awarded a certificate. The training course can be completed in four weeks by attending full-time, Monday through Friday, from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Classes begin twice a month, every month except December.
This program is designed for individuals with little or no commercial driving experience. Our training course includes everything you will need. The benefits include:
- Department of Transportation (DOT) Physical/Drug Screen
- Commercial Driver's License (CDL) Learner's Permit
- Department of Transportation Rules and Regulations
- Kentucky CDL Manual
- Map Reading Assistance
- Trip Planning Guidelines
- CDL Road Test
What are my career options?
You may register at any time; however, class size is limited. Enrollments are accepted on a first-come, first-serve basis. Training is scheduled around holidays and interruptions caused by weather or other unforeseen circumstances.
A high school diploma or GED is not required, however you must:
- Be able to read and write the English language
- Be 18 years of age*
- Be able to meet the Federal DOT physical requirements
- Have a valid driver's license at the time of registration
* You may be accepted into the training course if you are 18 and over, but limited job placement assistance is available if you are under the age of 21.
Costs and Fees
- 160 Hour Tractor/Trailer Driver Training
- $3,875 tuition includes DOT physical, drug screen, CDL manual, classroom and road
training. Tuition does not include these student fees to the circuit clerks office:
CDL application $24, permit $11, skills testing $50, original CDL $40 (total $125)
- Tuition increase to go into effect 7/1. Program cost will be $4,125
- Tuition to be paid in full before the first day of class
- Acceptable payment methods: cash, money order, credit card, bank check (no personal checks)
- Funding available through WIOA (see below)
- Funding not available through Gateway
Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (WIOA)
The WIOA could help you pay for your CDL training. Contact the Kentucky Career Center to see if you qualify.
Length of Program
|Start Date||End Date|
|Monday, April 19||Friday, May 17|
|Monday, May 3||Tuesday, June 1|
|Monday, May 17||Monday, June 14|
|Tuesday, June 1||Monday, June 28|
|Monday, June 14||Monday, July 12|
|Tuesday, July 6||Monday, August 2|
|Monday, July 19||Monday, August 16|
|Monday, August 2||Monday, August 30|
|Monday, August 16||Monday, September 13|
|Monday, August 30||Monday, September 27|
|Monday, September 13||Friday, October 8|
|Monday, September 27||Wednesday, October 27|
|Thursday October 14||Wednesday, November 10|
|Wednesday, October 27||Thursday, November 23|
|Tuesday, November 9||Wednesday, December 8|
Class size is limited. Contact Ressie Hall at 859-442-1169 or email@example.com to determine if there is space available in the class you want to attend.
You can earn an associate in applied science degree in two years if you maintain full-time status.
This information should not be considered a substitute for the KCTCS Catalog. You should always choose classes in cooperation with your faculty advisor to ensure that you meet all degree requirements.