What is Human Services?
Are you interested in helping individuals, groups and communities? The Human Services program at Gateway may be for you! Our program provides you with the knowledge and skills to qualify for entry-level positions in agencies that provide social, educational, advocacy, substance abuse and mental health services.
Transfer Opportunities –Our students are prepared for Bachelor’s degrees. Our transfer opportunities allow you to start your coursework at Gateway and complete your Bachelor’s degree in Social Work, Human Services, Addiction Counseling and related fields.
In December of 2017, 13 Gateway alumni graduated from the Bachelor of Social Work program at Northern Kentucky University.
- 54% graduated with the Summa Cum Laude Distinction (3.9-4.0 GPA)
- 23% graduated with the Magna Cum Laude Distinction (3.75-3.899 GPA)
Affordable Learning - Start Here, Go Anywhere!
- Gateway’s tuition per credit hour for in-state students is $162 compared to $390 at NKU
- A student saves around $14,592 in tuition compared to if they started at NKU for their first two academic years
- Students are eligible for the KCTCS Scholars Award - $2,500 - to use towards their Bachelor’s degree if they earn over a 3.0 GPA (or higher) while at Gateway
What are my career options?
Social and human service assistants are employed in the health care and social assistance industries. State and local governments, primarily in public welfare agencies and facilities for mentally disabled and developmentally challenged individuals. Children, Inc., Children’s Home of Northern Kentucky, Brighton Center, NECCO, Women Helping Women, Northern Kentucky Community , Action Commission, Family Nurturing Center, Family Promise of Northern Kentucky, Life Learning Center, NorthKey Community Care, Mental Health America, United Ministries, Volunteers of America-Midstates, Transitions, Inc., SUN Behavioral Health
What are my degree, diploma, or certificate options?
Associate in Applied Science Degree: Human Services
Human Services Certificates
- Aging Services Certificate
- Direct Support Work Certificate
- Substance Abuse Recovery Coach Certificate
- Psychiatric Mental Health Technician Certificate
- Advising Certificate Plan for All Human Services Certificates