The Advanced Manufacturing Technician Program (AMT) is a two-year (five semesters) Associate Degree that combines cutting-edge curriculum and paid working experience with learning highly sought-after business principles and best practices of world-class manufacturers. It is more than a job, it is a pathway to a career.
AMT is more than just sitting in the classroom. The college and the manufacturer work closely together to enhance your learning. In addition to gaining skill mastery in the educational portion of the program, you will learn about the culture of manufacturing through manufacturing workshops such as safety culture, Lean Manufacturing, problem solving, etc. Opportunities to increase communication and presentation skills as well as develop work ethic are also available. You earn money while attending college and gain priceless work experience with global and local manufacturers.
You attend class at Gateway full time, two days a week, and work at your sponsoring manufacturer three days per week. The course work implements a multidisciplinary, multiskilled model with courses in electricity, fluid power, mechanics, robotics, troubleshooting, preventative maintenance, etc.
We provide customized training to business and industry across all sectors. After workforce development specialists conduct a needs analysis, highly-skilled, professional instructors engage employees in the learning process either on-site or on campus.
Before applying to NKY Fame, please watch the following video to learn more about the program. If you would like to schedule a facility tour, please fill out the facility tour request form.
- Part-time employment at a sponsoring company earning a minimum of $12/hour
- Salary and benefits are determined by the individual manufacturer and will be relayed to the student during the selection process.
- Full-time enrollment at Gateway in the Industrial Maintenance Technology program
- Program is eligible for KEES scholarship funding
- Students needing assistance with costs outside of tuition may be eligible for grants and financial aid
To be considered for the program, candidates must complete the AMT online application, and submit the following required documents:
- High School transcript
- Placement test scores (ACT, SAT, KYOTE, EdReady etc.)
- 1-2 page essay describing why you are interested in this program
Candidates must also complete a Gateway Admission application. Only applicants that meet the eligibility requirements and submit the required documents will be sent to manufacturers for review and selection. Please make sure you submit all documents.
Along with Gateway's applications for admission, manufacturing personnel review and select potential students on the following criteria:
- Be 18 years of age by program start date
- Have a High School Diploma or GED
- Be a US citizen or eligible for work in the US
- Demonstrate academic success as measured through grades and class rank
- College-ready placement test scores
- ACT: 18 English, 19 Math, 20 Reading
- Commitment to remaining absolutely illegal drug-free
Continued Eligibility Requirements
- Minimum of C or better in all courses throughout the program
- Minimum of “satisfactory” on all work evaluations throughout the program
- Gateway course requirements met
- Normal progress in the program
- Meet program expectations as outlined in Commitment Form (distributed at orientation)
For more information, contact Pat Rickert.
For more information about the Kentucky Federation for Advanced Manufacturing, please go to www.KYFAME.com.