Gateway Accepting Scholarship Applications for 2012-13Looking for an interest-free method to help you pay for college tuition, books and fees? Scholarships are the answer.
Gateway Community & Technical College offers 24 different categories of scholarships, and the time to apply for the 2012-2013 academic year is now.
In the 2011-2012 year, we provided just over $224,000 in merit-based scholarships to eligible students, and you don't have to be a straight-A student to qualify, said Will Bradley, coordinator of financial aid and scholarships. Eligibility requirements vary by category, but scholarships are available for single parents, minority students, and students with at least a 2.0 average who show academic promise.
Bradley said Gateway has general scholarships available for students in any field, but some are dedicated to specific disciplines, such as advanced manufacturing, electrical technology, computer-assisted drafting and design, education, nursing and allied health. In addition, Gateway also has tuition-assistance funds available from a federal grant specifically for low-income students interested in certain allied health careers.
Heres how to apply:
1. Complete a scholarship application at www.gateway.kctcs.edu Click Financial Aid; then Scholarships.
2. Explain why you believe you should receive a scholarship. Indicate your educational and career plans. Please include your personal situation children/ family, financial income, work situation, etc. Bradley says including the personal situation is optional, but it provides the scholarship review committee with a complete understanding of your situation.
3. You can apply for more than one scholarship, but review each scholarship carefully because some require separate applications and written statements.
4. Provide two letters of recommendation from non-relatives.
5. Provide the Scholarship Application, Typed Statement, letters of recommendation (and other requirements for those scholarships requesting extra steps) to the Financial Aid Office no later than April 1, 2012 (postmarked by April 1, 2012 will be accepted).