Quick Reference Guide
Tier One Service Topics:
**IMPORTANT** So that ALL students have the opportunity to access individual tutoring sessions, students may only make ONE individual appointment at a time – per week/per subject. You may not take more than one appointment slot in a week (per subject) or schedule out for the entire semester, unless approved by the tutor and the Coordinator for Academic Success.
- All tutoring sessions are listed on the tutoring schedule.
- Once you choose a day, time, and tutor, log into your Blackboard account and click the Starfish link on the left hand menu.
- Click on the “My Success Network” icon on the left of the screen. Then, click on the link for Gateway-Tutoring.
- You will see a list of all of the peer-tutors at Gateway. Find the tutor with whom you would like to meet with. Pay close attention to the information below their contact information – this will tell you the subjects(s) for which they tutor.
- Click on the “Schedule Appointment” link.
- That tutor’s schedule will appear. You may click on any available appointment to reserve that time.
You may sign up for an individual appointment OR a group (walk-in) session. You may come to a walk-in session at any point during the scheduled session. Please, still sign in so that the tutor knows to expect you.
**IMPORTANT** So that ALL students have the opportunity to access individual tutoring sessions, students may only make ONE individual appointment at a time – per week/per subject. You may not take more than one appointment slot in a week (per subject) or schedule out for the entire semester, unless approved by both the tutor and the Coordinator for Academic Success.
Complete the appointment form. Be sure to include the course for which you are requesting tutoring (it will show up in the drop down menu).
If you are in a workshop or lab class (MT 50, MAT 96, MAT 100, or ENG 100) please indicate that course in the drop down options.
- Click Submit.
- You will receive an email confirming your tutoring appointment. The tutor will also receive an email alert that an appointment has been made. You can also receive reminder emails and alerts as it gets close to you appointment day/time so you don’t forget!
- If you need to cancel an appointment, go back into Starfish. Find the appointment on your home page. Follow the prompts to cancel or reschedule the appointment. A confirmation email will be sent to both you and the tutor.
- Don’t forget to sign in AND out of each tutoring session you attend! Your tutors can assist you with any questions.
List some examples of call and questions you get from students, faculty and staff.
Q: How do I become a peer tutor?
A: Speak to your professor in the course for which you’d like to tutor and ask them to make a faculty recommendation for you. Or, contact Heather Abbott at email@example.com
Q: The tutoring schedule does not list any sessions that fit with my schedule.
A: On the Tutoring webpage, click on the Contact Us link on the left hand menu and fill out the form with your tutoring request. We will do what we can to accommodate your request, but cannot guarantee we will have a tutor available during the time/day you need. Peer tutors are students as well, and have their own class schedules to attend to.
Q: The tutoring schedule does not list tutoring for a subject I am struggling with.A: We want to respond as best we can to student demand, so if you don’t see something you need, please let us know! On the Tutoring webpage, click on the Contact Us link on the left hand menu and fill out the form with your tutoring request or question. We hire and schedule tutors according to demand. One of our current peer tutors may be able to assist you, depending on the class. However, we cannot guarantee that we will have a tutor that can accommodate your request.