May 28, 2020 Agenda and Minutes
Board of Directors Meeting
Special Called Meeting
Blackboard Collaborate Audio and Video Conference
Thursday, May 28, 2020, 6:30 p.m.
Board Members Present
- Mr. John Baines
- Mr. Larry Brown
- Ms. Savannah Buck
- Mr. Charles Coleman
- Mr. Sam Collier
- Mr. Erik Hermes
- Mrs. Ruth Howell
- Mr. David Schoenling
- Mr. Charles L. Session, Jr
Board Members Absent
- Mr. John Hayden
Gateway and KCTCS Faculty and Staff Present
- Ms. Julie Althaver, Director of Development
- Ms. Jane Frantz, Executive Assistant, President’s Office
- Dr. Fernando Figueroa, President/CEO
- Dr. Denise Fritsch, Dean of Institutional Effectiveness
- Ms. Christi Godman, Associate Vice President, Workforce Solutions
- Ms. Mallis Graves, Associate Vice President for Student Affairs
- Ms. Amy Hatfield, Associate Vice President, Human Resources
- Ms. Adrijana Kowatsch, Vice President Development and External Relations
- Dr. Kerri McKenna, Associate Professor of Developmental Writing
- Mr. Steve McGuire, Senior Instructional Designer/Developer
- Mr. Tyler Palmer, Event Services Manager
- Mr. Doug Penix, Associate Vice President for Academic Services
- Ms. Peg Russell, Director of Adult Education
- Mr. Paul Tontillo, Director of Budget & Fiscal Services
- Dr. Teri VonHandorf, Provost & Vice President, Academic Affairs
- Ms. Ingrid Washington, Vice President for Student Affairs
- Mr. Jamie Younger, Vice President, Administrative & Business Affairs
- Ms. Kennedy Brooks
- Ms. Morgan Arnold
- Call to Order/Pledge of Allegiance/Moment of Silence/Roll Call
- Board Chair Erik Hermes, called the meeting to order at 6:33 p.m. The board recited the Pledge of Allegiance and observed a moment of silence. Roll call was taken. The record will reflect that a quorum was present.
- Mission Moment
- Dr. Figueroa introduced Ms. Kennedy Brooks, Gateway graduate and Brandeis Law School student. She explained that she began at Gateway as a high school student in the dual enrollment program. She said the college experience while in in high school changed her life. She said it was very apparent to her that at Gateway the professors were there to help her. She felt that she was on a fast track to success, and able to finish because of Gateway. She thanked everyone for their support of Gateway and for allowing her to share her story.
- Approval of Minutes
- Chair Hermes called for a motion to approve the minutes from the April 30, 2020, meeting. Upon motion by Mr. Schoenling, and seconded by Mr. Session, a vote was called to approve the April 30, 2020, minutes as presented. The vote was taken as a roll-call vote, and it was unanimous to approve.
- Committee Statements of Purpose
- Chair Hermes presented the committee statements of purpose for renewed acceptance. They have been reviewed by each committee chair, and revisions made where necessary. The statements of purpose were included in the meeting materials sent to each board member before the meeting.
- Committee Reports
- Finance and Facilities Committee – Mr. Baines
Committee Chair Baines presented the budget to the board, with a review by Mr. Tontillo, Gateway Director of Budget and Fiscal Services. The key assumptions were detailed. Sources of revenue, function of expenses, and object of expenses were provided in the budget book report document provided with the resolution and
narrative to the board members. The approach was to be very conservative and work in some of the worst-case scenarios in order to account for all of the variability of the current economy and outlook. After a few questions and answers a motion to approve the budget resolution was made by Mr. Session and seconded by Mr. Collier. A roll call vote was unanimous to approve.
- Performance Evaluation of the President Committee - Mr. Session
Committee Chair Session reported that the committee met on May 14 and took into consideration all of the evaluations and measured those against the goals outlined by Drs. Figueroa and Box. They created the summary letter that was sent electronically to the board members. He asked for a motion to accept the summary letter recommendation. Ms. Howell made the motion and Mr. Schoenling seconded. A roll call vote was unanimous to approve.
- Finance and Facilities Committee – Mr. Baines
- Chairperson's Report
- Chair Hermes thanked the Gateway staff and faculty who made the meeting possible and
work so hard at Gateway. He also thanked the committee chairs and members for their
time and work on the board. He reminded the board of the next meeting on September
10, and that the leadership term of the board is two years with a new slate of Chair,
Vice Chair and Secretary at the October meeting.
Chair Hermes presented a proclamation to recognize and thank student representative to the board, Savannah Buck, who attends her last board meeting tonight. Her term ends July 2020.
- Chair Hermes thanked the Gateway staff and faculty who made the meeting possible and work so hard at Gateway. He also thanked the committee chairs and members for their time and work on the board. He reminded the board of the next meeting on September 10, and that the leadership term of the board is two years with a new slate of Chair, Vice Chair and Secretary at the October meeting.
- President’s Report - Dr. Figueroa
- Dr. Figueroa thanked Savannah Buck and wished her success in the future. He introduced
the new student representative to the board, who will be sworn in and attend her first
meeting on the board on September 10. She is Morgan Arnold, and in attendance tonight
as an audience member.
Dr Figueroa asked the board members to share their view of how Covid-19 is affecting Northern KY and what things Gateway should pay attention to going forward. Mr. Schoenling remarked on the change in his neighborhood with neighbors getting to know one another and helping each other. Mr. Coleman commented that the impact on the economy and small businesses has been enormously harmful. Mr. Baines said that we are learning to be adaptive and realize that the world is going to be more full of uncertainty that requires us to have high-flex plans going forward. Chair Hermes said that we are all struggling to deal with the constant change and that Gateway’s ability to adjust and be aware of needed changes are key to keeping the community moving forward. Mr. Session said that there will be a sustained paradigm shift in how folks learn. He said that change will be even more rapid in the next years. He said that he has spent more time in his community and that it is important to embrace differences and change and continue to be welcoming in order to be part of the growth.
Dr. Figueroa replied to each comment with the focus on the community and work that Gateway is doing with business partners to align the plans and programs to the needs of the region. Dr. Figueroa continued the report with the following updates: continuing to look at the research and data on the jobs market for future plans; increasing marketing expenses as budgeted for 2020-2021; Dr. Box and KCTCS in a strong position with the system fund balance to help the struggling community colleges in the state; completing the career and technical course labs that had to be put on hold from the spring semester; summer classes online with face-to-face labs in July; and a fall semester plan for courses in person, hybrid and online.
Dr. Figueroa also announced to the board that this year begins our formal 3 year ramp up for our 10 year Reaffirmation by the accrediting body SACSCOC, that the mission statement was ap proved by the KCTCS Board of Regents and work begins on the vision and values statements with a survey, and that comments by the board in appreciation of Gateway staff and faculty from the last meeting were shared with the college.
- Dr. Figueroa thanked Savannah Buck and wished her success in the future. He introduced the new student representative to the board, who will be sworn in and attend her first meeting on the board on September 10. She is Morgan Arnold, and in attendance tonight as an audience member.
- Upon motion by Mr. Collier, and seconded by Mr. Session, Chair Hermes adjourned the meeting at 7:58 p.m.
Important Dates to Remember
- Board Meeting dates - September 10, October 29, December 10