April 30, 2020 Agenda and Minutes
Board of Directors Meeting
Special Called Meeting
Blackboard Collaborate Audio and Video Conference
Thursday, April 30, 2020
Board Members Present
- Mr. John Baines
- Mr. Larry Brown
- Ms. Savannah Buck
- Mr. Charles Coleman
- Mr. Sam Collier
- Mr. John Hayden
- Mr. Erik Hermes
- Mrs. Ruth Howell
- Mr. David Schoenling
- Mr. Charles L. Session, Jr.
Gateway and KCTCS Faculty and Staff Present
- Ms. Julie Althaver, Director of Development
- Ms. Jane Frantz, Executive Assistant, President’s Office
- Dr. Fernando Figueroa, President/CEO
- Ms. Denise Fritsch, Dean of Institutional Effectiveness
- Ms. Christi Godman, Associate Vice President, Workforce Solutions
- Ms. Mallis Graves, Associate Vice President for Student Affairs
- Ms. Amy Hatfield, Associate Vice President, Human Resources
- Ms. Jennifer Jones, Director of Academic Advising
- Ms. Adrijana Kowatsch, Vice President Development and External Relations
- Mr. Patrick Lamping, Assistant Director, Marketing and Communications
- Ms. Erica Marye, Assistant Director, Marketing and Communications
- Dr. Kerri McKenna, Associate Professor of Developmental Writing
- Mr. Doug Penix, Associate Vice President for Academic Services
- Ms. Ashley Rouse, Coordinator of Retention: Student Engagement
- Ms. Peg Russell, Director of Adult Education
- Mr. Paul Tontillo, Director of Budget & Fiscal Services
- Dr. Teri VonHandorf, Vice President, Academic Affairs
- Ms. Ingrid Washington, Vice President for Student Affairs
- Mr. Jamie Younger, Vice President, Administrative & Business Affairs
- Ms. Kelsey Wicher
- Call to Order/Pledge of Allegiance/Moment of Silence/Roll Call
- Board Chair Erik Hermes, called the meeting to order at 6:35 p.m. The board recited the Pledge of Allegiance and observed a moment of silence. Roll call was taken. The record will reflect that a quorum was present.
- Mission Moment
- Dr. Figueroa introduced Ms. Kelsey Wicher, Assistant Director of TAP at Thomas More University and adjunct professor. Ms. Wicher is a Gateway graduate who went on to earn a bachelor’s degree at NKU through the Gateway2NKU partnership. She also earned a master’s degree in management. She is on the NKY Action Council for United Way. She credits the staff and faculty at Gateway for helping guide her to find her vision and reach her goals. Dr. Figueroa thanked her for sharing her story of success and a better life.
- Approval of Minutes
- Chair Hermes called for a motion to approve the minutes from the February 6, 2020, meeting with a change to the heading listing it as the annual meeting. That was a mistake from a previous template. Upon motion by Mr. Sam Collier, and seconded by Mr. Chuck Session, a roll call vote was taken to approve the February 6, 2020, minutes as amended. The vote was unanimous to approve.
- Committee Reports
- Performance Evaluation of the President Committee - Mr. Session
Committee Chair Session reported that the committee met on April 23 to review the evaluation form, guidelines, and Dr. Figueroa’s annual goals. They determined the timeline for the evaluation, which includes the return of the completed evaluation forms by May 8, the committee meeting to summarize the evaluations on May 14, the meeting of Mr. Session with Board Chair Hermes and Dr. Figueroa on May 26, the vote on the summary at the board meeting on May 28, and the mailing of the approved summary to Dr. Box on May 29. Mr. Session asked the board members to complete the evaluation form and return it anonymously in the addressed and stamped envelope that was provided or to email it him. An evaluation form with the current
goals/measurements filled in will be sent to all board members.
- Finance and Facilities Committee – Mr. Baines
Committee Chair Baines reported that the committee met on April 23. Mr. Paul Tontillo and Mr. Jamie Younger presented the 2020-21 budget. The budget is well structured and conservative. Assumptions are clearly defined, and if things change there are clear next steps that will allow adjustments. The final budget will be presented at the next committee meeting on May 6. The committee will make a recommendation and ask for approval at the board meeting on May 28.
- Performance Evaluation of the President Committee - Mr. Session
- Chairperson's Report
- Chair Hermes thanked the Gateway staff for their efforts to accomplish this meeting in the online format. He drew attention to the committee assignments that are included in the board materials. He asked each committee chair to review and update their committee statement of purpose and return them to Ms. Jane Frantz for renewal at the May meeting.
- President’s Report - Dr. Figueroa
- Dr. Figueroa reiterated Mr. Hermes’ statements in appreciation for the faculty and
staff in all efforts related to adjustments as the COVID-19 pandemic developed. He
offered great appreciation for the determination and work of Gateway students to adapt
to the online classes along with the changes in their lives.
Dr Figueroa asked the board members to share their view of what the new normal will look like for NKY. He spoke about the change in the economy and jobs landscape affecting Gateway’s programs and credential offerings. With the rising level of anxiety, there are unexpected changes to mental health and creative ways that we support each other. Mr. Hermes said that the situation is changing week by week. This question will be revisited in May. Board members help Gateway collect feedback from different sectors of the economy to respond to the community needs.
Dr. Figueroa asked Mr. Younger to update the board on the COVID-19 milestones and decisions about going forward. Mr. Younger said that all decisions were made in alignment with the directions from the Governor’s office, the Council on Postsecondary Education (CPE), and the Kentucky Community and Technical College
System (KCTCS). His presentation reviewed the time beginning in the middle of March to the present. He listed the ways that each division responded and adjusted to remote work and online class delivery, while maintaining a focus on meeting the student needs and remaining aligned with Gateway’s mission and three commitments.
Decisions going forward will be made with the same commitment to our students, faculty and staff and following the direction of the Governor, CPE and KCTCS.
Mr. Session and Mr. Coleman thanked Gateway staff and faculty for their quick response and transparency. They worked through the complexity of switching instantly to remote work while being sensitive to the students’ needs and executing a response that would make their lives easier. They said that Dr. Figueroa and Gateway staff and faculty removed the barriers to education in a virtual world in a heartbeat, which is staying true to the commitments Gateway has made.
Dr. Figueroa continued the President’s report by reporting that the new Gateway mission statement was approved at the March KCTCS Board of Regents meeting. Work now begins on reviewing and revising the vision and values statements of the college. Dr. Figueroa gave an update on legislative advocacy work since the last board meeting. The KCTCS request for increase in the dual-credit tuition was answered in the one-year budget with an increase from 33.3% to 40% rate and the pension question was postponed. The 2% stop loss in performance funding is in place and base funding is neutral in the state budget.
He updated the board on partnerships and communications with NKU and TMU, including the River City Promise scholarship and a joint interview with Dr. Vaidya. He spoke about other partnerships, the work of developing the quality of life in our community and connecting to the voice of conscience that might move the region forward. He spoke about tentative plans to celebrate our graduates since the May commencement ceremony and Night of Excellence had to be canceled.
- Dr. Figueroa reiterated Mr. Hermes’ statements in appreciation for the faculty and staff in all efforts related to adjustments as the COVID-19 pandemic developed. He offered great appreciation for the determination and work of Gateway students to adapt to the online classes along with the changes in their lives.
- Upon motion by Charlie Coleman, and seconded by John Baines, Chair Hermes adjourned the meeting at 7:52 p.m.
Important Dates to Remember
- Important Dates to Remember - Please note that we will send updates and provide opportunities to participate in events as available.
- Board Meeting - May 28, September 10, October 29, December 10