DEI Student Ambassador Program
Applications for the DEI Student Ambassador program are now available!
- Non-Federal Work Study? Click here to apply to complete the online form application.
- Federal Work Study? Click Here to apply to complete online application.
The Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Student Ambassadors serve as welcoming role models for new, current, and prospective students. They are exemplary leaders who will support the vision and mission of DEI, recruitment, and enrollment for the college, promote student engagement in DEI programs, advocate for vulnerable populations, increase awareness of college services and programs, and act as liaisons between Gateway and the community.
The DEI Gateway Student Ambassadors will represent DEI at various events and opportunities throughout the academic year. Factors in the selection process will include the following: completion of the application, academic performance, communication skills, potential for leadership and a successful interview with the committee.
DEI Ambassadors are:
- Positive and fun
- Excel in communicating with others in teams or public speaking
- Open to learning new things
- Have a commitment to DEI mission, vision, and principles
- Maintain a 2.0 GPA
- Shows proficiency in public speaking, interpersonal, group, intercultural, and leadership skills
- Enroll in a minimum of 6 credit hours per year while serving
- Students may serve no more than two years without approval
DEI Student Ambassador Responsibilities and Services:
- Complete mandatory Everfi training
- Attend two-day leadership training sessions
- Attend DEI Student Ambassador meetings at least once a month
- Complete 1 to 5 hours per week/40 hours a semester on DEI Student Ambassador activities
- Serve as internal resource for students
- Participate in 3 events DEI per semester
- Maintain 2.0 GPA
- Stay enrolled in at least 6 credit hours/semester
- Work with DEI Recruiter at Gateway recruitment events
- Volunteer to assist at various new & current student enrollment events
- Be active in at least one DEI sponsored club
- Present CARES presentations as needed
- Be a visible student representative during Welcome Week
- Assist with other events as assigned
- Administrative duties as assigned
Benefits of becoming a DEI Student Ambassador.
- Development of DEI facilitation, advocacy, communication, interpersonal, organizational, public speaking, and problem-solving skills
- DEI Gateway shirt
- Acquisition of transferable work-ready skills such as team building, communication, leadership, and conflict management skills
- A letter of recommendation will be made available upon request at the end of the successful service.
Interested? Feel free to contact Dr. LaVette Burnette at firstname.lastname@example.org, stop by the DEI Center in Edgewood E213, or call (859) 442-4121.