Arts & Culture Club
Welcome to the Arts & Culture Club! This club is designed to provide fun, cultural enrichment events to current students at Gateway. Our meetings and events provide leadership experience and volunteer opportunities you can easily add to your resume.
Spring 2020 Meetings: We meet on the 1st & 3rd Thursday of the month during the Fall and Spring semesters at the Edgewood Campus in Conference Room E215H from 4 - 5 p.m. We do not meet during summer or major holidays or when the college is closed. Additionally, please check our webpage every semester as meeting days and times can change each semester based on club officer’s schedules. If you are a current student and would like to become a member just show up to a meeting or event. To get information about our meetings and be added to our email list please enter your contact information. However, to continue to receive information you must attend a meeting or an event.
2019-2020 Club Officers:
President: Kylee Matthews, Journalism and Communications major
Vice President: Cecilia Vanderputten, Library Science major
Secretary: Caitlyn Marsh, Creative Writing major
Social Media and Marketing: Shawn Crawford, Tabitha Campbell, Jayvin Jones
Faculty Advisor: Professor Ostendorf, Assistant Professor of English
What do we do? The Club usually hosts 2-3 events per year. Annual events include:
- Voices Literary Magazine Release Party and Open Mic night. Usually held in September, this is a celebration of the student writers published in Voices magazine. The Open Mic Night is open to students, faculty, staff, and the community to attend and share their work or simply come out to watch.
- Arts & Culture Club Annual Halloween Party. Hosted in October this event is usually themed and includes food, music, games, horror
trivia, costume contest with prizes and ends with a horror film. This year’s 2019
theme is tentative but will be 80s Horror.
Past Party Themes:
- Classic Horror: Frankenstein’s Monster Mash
- Zombie Apocalypse: George Romero’s Day of the Dead
- Gothic Horror: Poe’s Fall of the House of Usher
- Field Trips: The club will have occasional field trips throughout the year. Past trips include a visit to the National Underground Railroad Museum in celebration of Black History Month, a trip to see the play “A Christmas Story” at the Covedale Theater and a trip to NKU’s theater to see “Young, Fast, and Beautiful: The Life of James Dean.”
2018-2019 Club Officers:
President: Jaime Galliher, Nursing –Gateway2NKU
Vice President: Tara Tucker, Photography-Gateway2NKU
Secretary: Liz Brown, English-Gateway2NKU
Social Media and Marketing: Kylee Matthews, Journalism & Nhung Botkin, Business