Gateway Students Offer Free Tax Filing Help
Gateway Community & Technical Colleges business department offers help with tax preparation by hosting multiple workshops at the Urban Metro and Boone Campuses in February, March and April.
Gateway business instructor Barb Rice and students who have passed the IRS Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) exam are giving their time and talents on campus to help students and community members file their taxes free of charge.
Volunteers will provide basic assistance to taxpayers preparing 2015 taxes by demonstrating how to use myfreetaxes.com, which supports households with incomes under $62,000. Taxpayers may file online at the workshop, or the website can be accessed from anywhere with an Internet connection, both at no charge.
Gateway will host a series of self-assist tax preparation workshops, which are open to the public, on the dates and times below.
Boone Campus in the CAM building room 206 12-2:00 p.m.
Saturday, February 27
Urban Metro Campus in the Two Rivers building room 101 from 9-11:00 a.m.
Wednesday, February 3
Wednesday, February 17
Wednesday, March 2
Wednesday, March 16
Wednesday, April 6
Wednesday, April 13
Taxpayers attending the free workshops should have:
- A valid email address
- Social Security or Individual Taxpayer Identification (ITIN) for each family member and working adult
- 1095-A if tax credit from the healthcare.gov marketplace received
- Childcare provider name, address and tax ID if applicable
- Bank routing and account numbers for checking and savings account if qualified for refund via secure direct deposit
- Last year's tax return
- W2 form(s) and a valid ID (driver's license number required for all licensed drivers)
- Self-employment and income interest earned (if applicable)
- Other income including income of household members
- Expenses (tuition, student loan interest paid out of pocket)
- Any statement mailed for tax purposes (SSA, 1099, etc.)
Volunteers are trained to handle basic returns and assist with completing FAFSA and applying for state benefits. No appointments are necessary. These events are co-sponsored by myfreetaxes.com and the United Way.For more information, contact Shellie Baker at firstname.lastname@example.org or 859.442.1111.