Gateway Has a Scholarship for You: Apply Now
Do you want to go to college but think you cannot afford it? Try going on a scholarship.
Gateway Community and Technical College offers 32 different categories of scholarships.
The time to apply starts now.
Students often don't apply because they think their grade point average has to be 4.0 to receive a scholarship. That isnt the case, said Will Bradley, Gateway coordinator of financial aid and scholarships. Eligibility requirements vary by category, and being a straight-A student is not necessarily required. We have scholarships available for single parents, minority students, and students with a 2.0 average who show academic promise.
Bradley said Gateway has general scholarships available for students in any field, but some are dedicated to specific disciplines, such as advanced manufacturing, electrical technology, computer-assisted drafting and design, education, nursing and allied health.
In addition, Gateway has tuition-assistance funds available from a federal grant specifically for low-income students interested in certain allied health careers.
The key is to apply, Bradley added.
1. Complete a scholarship application at www.gateway.kctcs.edu Click Financial Aid; then Scholarships.
2. Explain why you believe you should receive a scholarship. Indicate your educational and career plans. Please include your personal situation children/family, financial income, work situation, etc. Bradley said including the personal situation is optional, but it provides the scholarship review committee with a complete understanding of your situation.
3. You can apply for more than one scholarship, but review each scholarship carefully because some require separate applications and written statements.
4. Provide two letters of recommendation from non-relatives.
5. Provide the scholarship application, your explanatory statement, letters of recommendation (and other requirements for those scholarships requesting extra steps) to the Gateway Financial Aid Office no later than April 1, 2013 (postmarked by April 1, 2013 will be accepted).
For more information, contact Will Bradley at William.email@example.com or call 859-441-4500 and select the financial aid option.