Online SMART Orientation
Quick Reference Guide
Tier One Service Topics:
- Students must have an active username and password. If they have not done so, please use the handout for activating student accounts in the Information Commons desk drawer.
- Give students disposable earbuds. Located in the Information Commons desk.
- Assist students as they log into and complete their SMART orientation.
- If students have difficulty accessing the SMART orientation in Blackboard, they can
log in as:
This is a last resort option, only if a student cannot access blackboard at all.
- When using GGUY log in, escalate the ticket to GW-SMARTORICOMMONS email address.
- Upon completion of SMART Orientation, participants are asked to print a completion certificate to take to their scheduled SMART appointment.
- Most students completing SMART Orientation in the Information Commons area have a SMART Advising appointment the same day. Students who choose not to complete the SMART orientation at home have the option of coming to the Information Commons to complete the orientation. Students are advised to arrive to the Information Commons of the corresponding campus one hour before the advising appointment. Generally speaking, completion of orientation can take 30 min to an hour. Students with scheduled SMART advising appointments are given a reminder call the day before the appointment.
- Students who have completed orientation can visit gateway.kctcs.edu/ready to schedule an advising appointment.
- If using GGUY log in, escalate a ticket to GW-SMARTORICOMMONS email address. In ticket, include name and student ID # of the student who used GGUY log in.
- Using gguy0005 should solve most problems, but if a student cannot create their username and password, they would need to be referred to admissions and then possibly IT to get that fixed.