Inclement Weather Policy
College Operations during Inclement Weather
The college will be open for normal business unless the weather situation has a serious impact on the normal transportation systems in the region. During these types of inclement weather situations, the following procedures and notifications will be used.
It is the college president/CEO’s responsibility (or that of the acting president) to determine the college’s operating status during inclement weather. The college will adhere to one of the following declarations:
- Open, but operating on a two-hour delay; (a two-hour delay means classes scheduled earlier than 10 a.m. will not meet; classes scheduled to begin at 10 a.m. or later will be held as scheduled; offices at all campuses will open at 10 a.m.);
- Closed for all day activities;
- Closed for all day and evening activities;
- Closed for all evening activities (in those cases when inclement weather begins during the day);
- Gateway classes offered at off-campus sites will follow the inclement weather procedures of the organization where the class is located. If the college campuses are open but off campus sites are not, Gateway faculty members will provide alternate assignments and announcements through the class Blackboard site; or,
- Open on a normal operating schedule (No announcement will be made.)
Once a decision is made, the external media (TV and radio) will be informed as early as possible in the day or, if possible, the preceding night. This system is the very best and fastest way to notify employees and students. Announcements will be made on all major TV and radio stations in the Tri-State area.
Additional announcements will be placed on the college’s website and Facebook. Finally, a SNAP message will be sent to all GCTC employees and students, so it is very important that you are signed up to receive SNAP messages on your cell devices. In those situations when the college has been open and inclement weather occurs during the day, the same notification procedures will be used.
If there is inclement weather and no announcement is made, one should assume that the college is open at normal operating hours. Please note that the college does not announce that it is operating on normal scheduled hours.
All locations and campuses of the college will operate according to the announced schedule.
Employees and students are asked to arrive on campus no earlier than 30 minutes prior to the opening of the college. For example, if the college is on a two-hour delay and will open at 10 a.m. instead of 8 a.m., employees and students should not arrive before 9:30 a.m. so that the college crews can clear the snow. Your cooperation is greatly appreciated.
A final word of caution: in any inclement weather situation, it is up to the individual employee or student as to whether conditions permit safe travel. It is impossible to accurately assess the road and weather conditions across the Tri-State area, Greater Cincinnati, and Northern Kentucky regions. Some areas may experience severe weather conditions while other areas are less affected. The ultimate decision on travel rests with the individual. However, if you are not able to come to work or attend classes when the college is open, it is your responsibility to notify your supervisor (or instructor) of the absence in a timely manner. Please consult your course syllabus or KCTCS Policies and Procedures for more information.
Authorized by: Dr. Fernando Figueroa, President/CEO Updated January, 2018